Posted on June 23 2018
I don't know what the impetus was for me wanting to dye yarn, but once I got the idea in my head, it happened. I bought some undyed yarn and first wanted to try Kool-Aid as a dye. I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to buying a whole bunch of yarn dye if the whole process sucked (it didn't). I'm designing a hat based on the Legend of Zelda video game for my husband and figured I could use those colors to try out some dyeing. From my limited research, it seemed like about 4 packets of Kool-Aid per 100g skein of yarn would do the trick.
I bought the 9 colors of Kool-Aid packets that my grocery store had, dissolved them in some water, and let a piece of yarn soak in them overnight to get an idea of the colors.
I was a bit fooled by my scrap of yarn overnight soak, and expected relatively vibrant colors. So, I attempted 4 solid colors:
- Yellow - 3 packets of Lemonade and 1/2 of a packet of Orange.
- Green - 3 packets of Lemonade and 1/2 of a packet of Mixed Berry.
- Blue - 3 packets of Mixed Berry and 1/2 of a packet of Grape.
- Red - 1 packet each of Hawaiian Punch, Black Cherry, Cherry, and Orange.
Once I decided which colors I would use & blend, I bought more and got to work. First, the yarn took a bath in some Dr. Bronner's soap to get any excess oils out of it, and to make sure it was soaked throughout to guide dye-laden water into the fibers.
Yarn was rinsed and added to a pot with enough water to cover it and the 4 packets of Kool-Aid. Brought to a temperature below simmering until the water turned clear. Let cool. Rinse.
I did this process with the other colors. I was lulled into a false sense of vibrancy from doing the red first.
As you can see above, the yellow turned out pale creamsicle orange, and the blue & green turned out very pale.
The red, however, turned out adequately saturated!
I honestly was mostly just curious if this would work, and it did. I had already decided that I wanted to get a small starter pack of heavy metal-free acid dyes once I dyed the first one, so I wasn't concerned about re-dyeing those pale skeins.
I also bought some extra packets for Scottie to play with. We did 2 experiments:
- We used some damp yarn in a casserole dish with some paper towel paint brushes.
[caption id="attachment_394" align="aligncenter" width="768"] Added a bit more water and cooked this covered on the stove until the water was clear. Looks like a mess, but wait for it...[/caption] [caption id="attachment_425" align="aligncenter" width="436"] Ta-da! Scottie is an artist.[/caption]
2. Then we did a speckle experiment. Damp yarn, Kool-Aid powder, a glass of water, and a fork. We wrapped it up in cling wrap and steamed it in a pot for 30-45 min.[caption id="attachment_397" align="aligncenter" width="768"] Again, looks hella messy...[/caption] [caption id="attachment_429" align="aligncenter" width="900"] Obsessed.[/caption] [caption id="attachment_426" align="aligncenter" width="768"] Being knit into a hat (in low light).[/caption]
So obviously, you can get some really cool yarn from Kool-Aid, but it for the most part needs to be kind of a lot of packets.
The skeins below are the first 4 that I tried to dye with Kool-Aid. I re-dyed all but the red one with acid dye.
I think you'll be seeing a lot more dyeing from me in the future. I am having WAY TOO MUCH FUN OMG.
A Farewell to Yarns
Hey friends! There's a shop update coming tomorrow, Thursday, August 3rd! I have been carrying 3 bases from Echoview Fiber Mill, but the mill sadly...Read More
Create Amazing Sock...
Here's how I make a shorty sock on my circular sock machine on 64 stitches! These socks are perfect for warmer weather, and go great with your dai...Read More
It's Called Manifes...
It's Called Manifesting, Look It Up It may look like I'm cooking homegrown mushrooms, but I'm actually manifesting an empire. I've got a lot of d...Read More